The skin care industry for men is not a new idea, but lately, business is booming! More men than ever are seeking out skin care treatments, products and procedures to help them look and feel their best. You may have noticed the increase in skin care products on store shelves specially designed just for men, or the fact that it’s now more socially acceptable for men to take better care of their skin. And this goes beyond just skin care products — hundreds of thousands of men are also seeking out non-invasive skin care treatments like dermal fillers and laser treatments, amounting to almost 10 percent of the total men and women getting these treatments in the US.
So, if you’re interested in upping your skin care game with skin rejuvenation for men, you’re certainly not alone. Whatever your skin concern may be — from blemishes to wrinkles and more — there’s a skin care treatment for you to help you look your best and feel confident in your skin.
Male Skin vs. Female Skin
There are many differences between Male and Female skin. Although men have tougher skin, it can be more sensitive to the sun and have several other key differences that can affect how to best care for it:
- Thickness and texture: Male skin is, on average, 25 percent thicker than a female’s and has a higher amount of collagen — but it can thin out gradually with age. Men’s skin also has a much tougher texture. While women often show earlier signs of aging because of a lower amount of collagen, men are more prone to developing deeper wrinkles in the face over time. Dermal fillers and other anti-aging regimens are great ideas for men to consider to improve the appearance of these deep wrinkles.
- Larger pores: Men tend to have larger pores than women and may produce more pore-clogging sebum or oil. While a woman’s sebum production usually tapers off with age, a man’s remain the same throughout their lifetime. Higher levels of testosterone also contribute to higher oil production and acne. Cleansers and acne treatments can be even more important for men to keep blemishes under control.
- Facial structure: The facial muscles are generally stronger in men, often creating deep lines and wrinkles in areas of the face that moves. Neuromodulators such as Botox® or Dysport® help to relax the strong muscle movement which softens wrinkles such as crows feet or forehead lines. Also, as men age, the loss of subcutaneous fat, collagen and bone structure results in a saggier, sunken appearance to the face. Adding volume with dermal fillers can help.
- Facial hair: Men tend to have much more facial hair, and the hair is more thick and coarse. Frequent shaving can leave a man’s face irritated and more sensitive, as well as prone to cuts, ingrown hairs and razor burn. This means that high-quality moisturizers and other skin care products are a must!
In addition, many men work or enjoy hobbies that involve a significant amount of sun exposure. And let’s be honest, men aren’t always the best at protecting their skin with sunscreen or clothing and hats.
Men’s Common Skin Issues
Men can have many of the same skin issues as women, from acne to age spots to wrinkles, but they may experience some of these issues differently and have some unique issues to watch for. Men’s skin will continue to produce pore-clogging sebum, so pimples and acne can be more common at any time, not just when they are younger. Men are also more prone to sweating, which doesn’t help problems with acne.
Because of frequent shaving, a man’s face is also more prone to redness and irritation. Rosacea is common for both men and women and can get worse if left untreated, causing redness and pimples or bumps on the face.
Wrinkles tend to show up later in life for men compared with women; however, once the signs of aging start, they progress quite rapidly – often with more pronounced and deep-set wrinkles.
5 Best Cosmetic Procedures for Men
Just like women, men have every reason to invest in cosmetic treatments for their skin. However, which treatments are best for their skin? From men’s face rejuvenation options to body treatments, here are our top five recommendations:
Botox® or Dysport® is one of the most popular aesthetic facial treatments in the world, and it’s one of the quickest and easiest ways to get rid of forehead wrinkles in men, and smooth wrinkles around the eyes. It’s quick and easy. You can even get Botox® injections during lunch breaks and still have time to eat. Other than a few small injection bumps on the forehead that disappear in 10 minutes, there is no downtime with this treatment. No one will know that you just had a skin pick-me-up over the noon hour!
Dermal fillers are safe, natural, gel-like substances that are expertly injected under the surface of the skin to restore volume loss. This leaves the face looking more lifted, fills in hollows and erases fine lines and wrinkles. The treatment takes a bit longer than Botox® but usually lasts less than an hour with very minimal swelling or bruising. Men love the outcome of a restored facial structure that looks natural and more youthful without being overdone or requiring time off work.
BBL is a light energy treatment that breaks up age spots, shrinks spider veins and decreases redness. In time, men also often see smaller pores, less fine lines, and an overall firming of the skin surface. We like to think of this laser treatment for men’s faces as “reversing skin age” and studies have demonstrated it to be safe and effective. The only downtime is temporary darkening of the age spots and occasionally some mild redness. These side effects last a few days and men tend to feel comfortable in public within 24 hours.
MicroLaser Peel treatments smooth rough skin and minimize scars and fine lines by exfoliating or removing thin layers of damaged skin. The procedure only takes 10-15 minutes in the laser room with extra time after for some cooling and after-care instructions. Most people feel a slight sunburn-like sensation and tightness for a day followed by dry, flaky skin for the next 2-3 days. A week after the treatment, men notice brighter, smoother, more youthful skin.
EMSCULPT® is a new, revolutionary procedure that uses High-Intensity Focused Electromagnetic (HIFEM®) energy to stimulate muscle contractions in the targeted area, similar to the way muscles would behave during crunches. In fact, a single treatment of EMSCULPT® can be equal to about 20,000 of these exercises! The treatment tones the muscle tissue and reduces body fat, resulting in a more trim, sculpted physique. The treatment can be performed on any trouble areas of the body, most commonly the abdomen, buttocks, arms, thighs or calves. There’s no downtime and in some cases only mild muscle soreness the next day which makes this treatment easy and convenient.
10 Habits to Prevent Skin Aging in Men
All of the above treatments can help drastically reduce the signs of aging, and regular healthy habits can aid in slowing down the process and maintaining your look between treatments. Many of these habits are great for your overall health, but they can help your skin look better, too. Try these tips to look and feel your very best:
- Exercise regularly: An exercise routine can help you maintain your body and overall health, and it is a great boost for glowing, youthful skin.
- Have a skin care routine:If you’re like most men, you probably use the same bar of soap to wash your face as you do your body. (Irish Spring, anyone?) These are very harsh on facial skin. Use skin care products designed for men’s skin, as well as your personal skin type for best results. Your routine should include a minimum of a cleanser, gentle exfoliant and a moisturizer. Your skin care clinician can help you select the right products.
- Use sunscreen daily: In addition to your regular skin care products, you should also use a sunscreen product. Maybe you combine it with your moisturizer to save steps? Not only will it protect your skin from cancer and sunburn, but it will also prevent early signs of aging caused by sun exposure.
- Drink water: Staying hydrated can help protect your skin from becoming dried out and looking older.
- Reduce alcohol intake: Alcohol can accelerate the signs of aging, and heavy drinking can add years to your face. Reduce drinking or enjoy it in moderation for the best aging prevention.
- Practice good shaving habits: Frequent shaving is hard on facial skin and can easily lead to irritation. Don’t shave too quickly, and be careful when shaving against the hair grain. Be sure to not use dull blades, and select quality shaving products, like shaving creams and aftershaves that match your skin type.
- Stop smoking: Smoking cigarettes is detrimental to many areas of your health, but it can also contribute to wrinkles and skin that’s dry and prematurely aged. Stop smoking to prevent the signs of aging, among a host of other health benefits.
- De-stress: Daily stress can wreak havoc on the body and skin, making you look tired and prematurely aged. Try regular stress relief techniques like meditation, yoga, exercise and self-care to reduce stress levels.
- Prioritize sleep: Not getting enough sleep can also make a person look tired and increase the signs of aging. Make sure to have a good bedtime routine and get enough quality sleep for best results.
- Eat your greens: In general, eating healthy, whole foods is best for your health. But including plenty of dark, leafy greens like kale and spinach ensures you are consuming the right vitamins and antioxidants to fight free radicals and keep you looking your youngest, healthiest self.
The Future of Men’s Skin Rejuvenation
Technology and science continues to move forward in all areas of aesthetic medicine. The laser and light treatments will continue evolving. They will deliver better results with less downtime or discomfort. Body treatments like EMSCULPT® are becoming more popular in men who desire a more sculpted look, enhance their strength-training workout or struggle with stubborn fat bulges.
The list of skin care products that are available and specially formulated for men, continues to grow exponentially — and the technologies for skin treatments are constantly advancing for both men and women. The clinicians at Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie are committed to staying up to date with the new technologies, as well as perfecting and improving current ones. Our clinic offers a variety of easy and convenient men’s facial treatments, and your clinician can recommend the best ones for your skin.
Men’s Skin Treatments at Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie
More men than ever are seeking out all sorts of skin care treatments. If you’re curious about improving your skin and gaining confidence in your look, the clinicians at Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie are here for you. We are a women’s and men’s skin clinic and are happy to help all of our clients achieve their skincare goals. Call us today at 608-434-6600 or fill out our online contact form to get in touch. We provide free consultations so we can hear about your skin care goals and recommend the best treatments, tailored to your needs and budget. We are happy to serve both women and men at our skin care clinic as they strive to achieve their skincare goals!