The dog days of summer are here! Neighbors mowing lawns and kids splashing in the water are sure signs of hot, sunny days. It’s important to remember to protect the biggest organ of our body; our skin.
What’s the big deal?
While some exposure to sunlight daily is required to provide us with plenty of Vitamin D, a vital nutrient, too much is never a good thing. It’s a myth that developing a base tan is safe or will prevent you from getting a sun burn. Any sun tan and especially a sun burn is damaged skin. With skin cancer rates climbing each year, we must get serious about protection. In 2014 alone, it’s estimated that 76,000 people in the U.S. will be newly diagnosed with melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
The effects of too much sun exposure also causes premature aging of all layers of the skin leading to brown age spots, uneven pigmentation, broken capillaries and skin growths. Most people will start to see these changes some time in their 40’s, however, it’s not unusual to discover unsightly sun side effects as early as age 20.
Not only does sun tanning cause aggravating skin conditions and blemishes on the top of the skin, it causes breakdown of important youthful elements underneath such as collagen, hyaluronic acids and elastin. Damage to these elements lead to skin sagging, puckering and wrinkles.
The BEST anti-aging tool you have in your home is SUNSCREEN!
It’s never too late to treat your skin with respect. By protecting yourself now, you will stop premature skin aging and reduce your chance of skin cancer. Here are some tips to keep your skin safe from the sun.
- Sunscreen – This should be labeled “broad-spectrum” and protect against UVA and UVB rays. UVA causes premature aging. UVB causes sun burns. Both need to be blocked with an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of at least 30.
- Apply properly – Sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to work best. It should be reapplied every 2-3 hours, possibly sooner if you are sweating or in water. The amount used should be a nickel-size blob for the face and a shot glass full for the rest of the body exposed to sun.
- Super-high SPF’s – If SPF 30 is good, why wouldn’t SPF 90+ be even better? High SPF products provide a false sense of security and many people don’t feel the need to reapply as often. High SPF sunscreens frequently contain more chemicals and in the past, these products only protected against UVB rays or sun burns. This left UVA rays free to travel through the skin, leading to premature aging and damage.
- Expiration dates – Check for expiration dates or throw out your bottles after one year of purchase to ensure full effectiveness.
- Makeup – While many mineral makeups claim SPF 15-30, it’s still important to use sunscreen underneath to provide the best coverage, especially in the summer months.
All is not lost!
If your past included sun worshipping or outside activities with no sun protection, you may have already noticed significant signs of skin aging. Thankfully, there are safe, natural and effective treatments at Rejuvenation Clinic that can reverse much of the damage and help your skin look youthful again. Laser and Light treatments such as BroadBand Light and MicroLaser Peels are simple yet amazing remedies that can brighten and tighten skin with minimal downtime or discomfort. Medical-grade skin care products are also available which contain ingredients such as growth factors, peptides, antioxidants and retinols. These are great additions to your skin care routine to help your overall rejuvenation. Each summer, (June, July and August) we offer 20% off all of our high quality sunscreens such as Obagi and SkinMedica. We want you to participate in your anti-aging plan as well!
It’s hard to put on a pair of shorts after a long winter and see pale white skin, especially when we grew up without the knowledge of the devastating effects of the sun. In our era, tanned skin was ‘in’ and tanned skin was ‘healthy’. Our Makeup and Skincare specialist, Polly, recommends self-tanning products to provide that boost of color and healthy glow. Her all-time favorites include Jane Iredale Tantasia, Kate Sommerville tanning wipes and St. Tropez tanning mousse.
Let’s face it! There are only THREE hot, sunny months of summer in Wisconsin. Please enjoy them safely and take good care of the skin you are in!
Post by: Michelle A. Niesen
Follow Michelle on Google+