Reversing Skin Aging
How many of you remember using baby oil in the summer to lay out and get a dark tan? Or pushing away the Coppertone-SPF 4 because you wouldn’t get any color? How about going to the pool, lake or playing in your backyard every day during the summer without a drop of sunscreen on? If you’re in your late 30’s or older, you most likely answered yes to one (or all) of these questions. Is it too late for us to reverse the sun damage that we incurred with our haphazard ways? Absolutely not!
Signs of Aging
The next time you look into the face of a child, notice the marvelous features of youthful skin. A child’s skin is uniform and even in color; is bright and reflects light; is smooth, soft and has perfect volume. Their youthful glow and smooth skin aren’t just side effects of youth, they’re signs of healthy skin. So, what does aging skin look like? Older skin often has:
- Dull, uneven skin tones
- Brown sun and age spots
- Red patches, undertones or visible veins
- Skin sagging and wrinkles
For most people, the above symptoms are generally caused by sun damage over time. This doesn’t mean, however, that the sun is the only culprit; other factors can play a role. Factors such as:
- Medical skin conditions like Rosacea can cause excessive facial redness, bumps and spider veins. This condition is often hereditary and genetics can determine whether or not it appears.
- Smoking. You already know that smoking isn’t great for your overall health, but what about your skin’s health? Individuals who smoke frequently have more wrinkles and duller skin tones than nonsmokers of the same age. The skin also takes longer to heal if injured and is often frail and dry.
- Weather. Those who live in extreme climates tend to have skin that is less healthy. For example, in very cold weather environments, skin can be cracked and dry. People living in hot, humid conditions often struggle with excessive oil production, plugged up pores and yeast infections on the skin.
- Hydration. Staying hydrated helps to stop excessive drying and long-term wrinkles.
- Stress. Individuals who experience excessive stress often show earlier signs of aging like wrinkles as well as adult acne and oily, more porous skin.
Think about your current skin health. Has your skin been affected by a buildup of poor early life decisions such as sun tanning or smoking, combined with current conditions that can’t be helped? Are you constantly on the lookout for the best wrinkle treatment, skin lightener, pore reducer or age reversing potion? Don’t worry. A combination of participating in a healthy lifestyle, using the best skin regimen for your complexion and investing in advanced non-surgical treatments can reverse and prevent skin aging and give you the beautiful skin of your youth.
What’s the Best Regimen for You?
It all starts with your daily skin regimen. What do you currently do? Do you check out fashion magazines or watch television to see what treatments the stars are using? Do you search for what’s on sale? Or, do you do the same old routine just because you’ve always done it?
Unfortunately, these methods aren’t always best for developing a skin care regimen that actually works. Instead, a little research can go a long way. Additionally, learning what’s best for your place in life is important – decades matter. To make it easy, we’ve done the research for you.
Before we begin, it’s best to remember a few musts for any age: sunscreen and daily washing. You should develop a daily habit of using a sunscreen labeled to block both UVA and UVB rays and contains at least SPF 15 during the winter and SPF 30 during the full sun of the summer months. Sunscreen should be applied liberally to sun-exposed skin every two hours and re-applied if skin becomes wet. Anyone concerned about skin health should routinely wash the skin twice a day with a gentle cleanser to whisk away dirt, oil, makeup, environmental debris and old skin cells.
Skin Care by Age
- 20s. In addition to your sunscreen and daily cleansing routine, you should consider using a water-based, oil-free anti-acne moisturizer that keeps your skin looking its best. If a breakout occurs, a gel-based cleanser or toner that contains salicylic acid is often very helpful.
- 30s. In your 30s, wrinkles and fine lines start to become visible. This is when learning how to get rid of forehead wrinkles or lines around the eyes becomes a top concern for many. Anti-aging serums or creams that contain retinol should be added into your beauty regimen.
- 40s. In your 40’s, fine lines and wrinkles are more apparent. Because wrinkles are generally fully formed and often present even at rest, a daily moisturizer that contains growth factors, ceramides and peptides – known for their ability to even out brown and red pigments and to increase collagen production – could be your best wrinkle treatment on a daily basis. Another ingredient to consider adding is glycolic acid products, which helps turnover dead skin cells and brighten your complexion.
- 50s. Due to hormonal changes, skin tends to become dryer and less healthy in your 50s. If you’re here, you already know this. An advanced daily moisturizer with antioxidants such as Vitamin C & E along with a heavier nightly moisturizer will help rehydrate and repair the skin as well as prevent further aging.
- 60s and beyond. After menopause, there’s a significant drop in natural estrogen production. Continuing products with growth factors, peptides, antioxidants, retinols and moisturizers will be an important part of your daily routine. Sunscreen also remains the most important product in your drawer to fight aging skin as well as skin cancer.
It’s important to know that ANY anti-aging serums, creams, or lotions can only travel to the very superficial layers of the skin. Topical ingredients are unable to affect the middle or deep layers of skin where most of the damage and structures are located. If your budget is tight, it may be more beneficial for you to do just the basics of skin care treatments at home and invest in other safe, proven and beneficial medical treatments.
The clinicians at Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie offer the best solutions for aging by treating the deeper layers of skin which gives a natural-looking, long lasting result.
Light and Laser Treatments for Wrinkles
You’ve probably already heard it or done it all. Celebrities with “photo-shopped” flawless skin are always advertising products or devices that cost hundreds of dollars. Magazines and television commercials are frequently touting expensive treatments that leave you with no results. It’s often hard to know where to start. Don’t be frustrated; there really are safe, reliable, budget-friendly solutions. Today, more than ever before, options exist that make it possible to actually reverse skin aging.
The most promising, cost-effective option is laser and light treatments for skin rejuvenation. These focused techniques include Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) or Broad Band Light (BBL), which have been around for almost twenty years yet perfected with advancing technology. IPL-type treatments or Photofacials use light therapy to even out and brighten skin as well as reverse skin age.
Dr. Patrick Bitter, one of the original pioneers of IPL, and his colleagues have been studying a large group of people with severe sun damage and photo-aged skin. Several studies have confirmed that these treatments are safe, they reverse skin aging and repair damaged DNA. What this means to us is that soon after treatments as well as months to years after, we experience:
- Younger-looking skin with each treatment.
- Fewer occurrences of skin cancers, including squamous and basal cell cancers.
- Diminished age spots and spider veins.
- Improved redness and bright, even skin tones.
- Tighter skin and smaller pores with smooth even texture and improved integrity.
Wondering how it works or if it’s right for you? Because of advanced technology, virtually all types of laser and light treatments can be performed safely on all skin types. The best way to know what treatments are ideal for your skin is to visit the experienced providers at Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie to receive a complete complimentary consultation which includes reviewing your history, skin type, skin concerns, obtaining an advanced skin analysis using our state of the art digital photo system and skin care recommendations.
But how does it work? Light-based therapies such as BroadBand Light and SkinTyte are based on the principle of selective thermolysis to heat the middle and deep layers of skin while providing a cooler, comfortable level of warmth at the top. These treatments deliver light energy in a sequence of rapid yet gentle pulses which promotes the denaturation and contraction of collagen. The deep heating also elicits a natural healing cascade to create new collagen.
Light and laser treatments are safe when performed by experienced providers. SkinTyte treatment uses infrared light to heat up the skin layers which is considered a healing wavelength in medical clinics. Providers such as Physical Therapists and Chiropractors often use infrared light therapies to heal scars, injuries and relieve chronic pain. Another important point regarding the safety of light and laser treatments are that they filter out any unnecessary or harmful wavelengths such as UVA, UVB, x-ray and gamma rays to name a few.
SkinTyte is a simple, quick, and comfortable treatment that is often describes as a “hot stone massage”. While the face is a popular area for treatment, therapies can be performed on virtually any skin surface. A smaller area like the face takes approximately 30 minutes, while larger areas take longer. SkinTyte doesn’t require any downtime or special recovery and most people have just a hint of pinkness during and after the process. This quickly goes away without any peeling, flaking or post-care needed.
The number of treatments necessary to achieve desired results varies from one patient to the next. For example, a person in their 30’s may only need one collagen treatment every year or every other year to maintain results. Someone in their 60’s would likely need 3-5 treatments a month apart to get their skin in good shape, then they can move to once a year maintenance. To determine what’s right for you, we recommend discussing your goals at the consultation. From there, a plan that uses one treatment or more likely combines various treatments will be derived to help you achieve what you’re looking for.
Other Options to Reverse Skin Aging
Another detriment of aging is that every single person begins to lose collagen, bone and other skin support structures after a certain age. Think of our youthful face as a grape which slowly deflates to a raisin as we age. For skin rejuvenation, this means that you might need something more than light or laser therapy. The loss of collagen means that even with the best daily regimen and the best lasers, once-perfect skin can easily become wrinkled and saggy.
Volume loss generally starts around age 30 and worsens over time. By age 50, many of us will discover – or have already discovered – lines around our noses and mouths, dark circles under our eyes, droopy eyelids and sagging jawlines. If you’re at this point, you’re certainly not alone.
One of the best ways to restore our youthful grape is through the use of dermal fillers. Dermal fillers are gel-like substances and frequently made up of building blocks that are depleted from our skin such as collagen and hyaluronic acid. They are injected directly under the surface of the skin with a fine needle or blunt tip cannula. These simple injections deliver small amounts of volume that plump up the skin, smooth out fine lines or wrinkles, and fill in areas that have been depleted by age, weight loss or other factors.
These non-surgical procedures are performed in our medical office. Numbing cream is applied and ice is used during the procedure to alleviate any discomfort. The treatment is generally described as “tolerable and totally worth it” and usually takes about 30 minutes with minimal downtime or restrictions once it’s completed. Several FDA-approved brands of dermal fillers are available at Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie and are chosen with you at your consultation. Certain fillers may work better in certain areas so keeping your specific concerns in mind is always a priority. Depending on the area treated and brand of filler used, results can last anywhere from 1-5 years.
Either on their own or in conjunction with laser and light treatments, dermal fillers can be used to reverse the natural signs of aging. Dermal fillers recreate and restore the skin or structure of our youth and if done with a skilled, artistic hand looks very subtle and natural.
Best Practices to Maintain Youthful Skin
It’s often frustrating that we can control most factors in regards to our body’s appearance; taking care of ourselves such as using sunscreen daily, exercising, eating healthy, getting adequate sleep and controlling stress, yet aging, particularly in our face, is out of our control. With new, safe, effective technologies it is possible to regain control, reverse the aging process and be confident in the skin we are in.
Once you’ve developed a skin care regimen that works for you, have treated yourself to laser and light therapies, dermal fillers or other recommended procedures and have fallen back in love with your skin, how can you maintain your results well into the future? It all starts with putting yourself first and not only taking good care of your skin but your body as well.
Below are excellent anti-aging recommendations for men and women of all ages:
Get enough rest. Tired doesn’t look good on anyone. Inadequate sleep shows up on your skin and your body.
If you’re ready to make a change, now is the perfect time. There are more safe and effective non-surgical skin treatments available than ever before. Rejuvenation Clinic of Sauk Prairie prides itself in staying current with the latest technologies – including state of the art laser and light therapies and injectable treatments such as Botox and dermal fillers – restoring beauty with minimal to no downtime. We believe safety is a priority and natural looking results are the only results worth having.
At Rejuvenation Clinic, not only is healthy skin our passion but your overall health and wellness is our priority. We will always take as much time as you need to feel comfortable with every visit. We are dedicated to helping you feel confident and look your very best.
Post by: Michelle A. Niesen, MS, PA-C
Follow Michelle on Google+